Skip to main content

Meditation on the Sensation of the Breath (3 Minutes a Day, by Richard Dixey - Week 3)


 Photo by Andreas Rasmussen on Unsplash

 ***

Well.  This week was one of the techniques you hear about first when you decide to try meditation.  The sensation of the breath.  Not following the passage of the breath in and out (which I see is a later weeks task), or counting the breaths (another beginner technique).  This one is simply to feel the breath as it comes in and out of your nose - the way the air feels on your nose.  Or the way your stomach rises and falls, internally and externally - the feeling of that.

I've always thought (and still do) that methods of meditation relying on breathing awareness can be very difficult for anyone with any respiratory issues, asthma, or any panic attack issues.  Concentrating on something that is being a bit difficult or strained may make you feel worse.  So  I'm not a massive fan of these kinds of methods.  I often find that focussing on my breath for any reason - to breathe more deeply or make the exhales longer than the inhales to relax the parasympathetic nervous system, can sometimes serve only to make me more self-conscious or aware that I'm finding regular breathing difficult in that moment - a legacy of previous panic attacks, and part of my Generalised Anxiety Disorder.

The main thing I note about doing it this time, is that the 3 minutes felt incredibly long.  My mind veered off all over the place, and I kept bringing my attention back to the breath, as usual, but almost without fail, I would think - 'maybe I've missed the bell at the end, did I turn the sound up?' (using the book's app to time the sessions).  When I checked, it would be about 2 mins 13 seconds or 2 minutes 17 seconds, every time!

I didn't find this relaxing, or freeing or anything other than me stopping what I was doing and doing this instead for 3 minutes.  I had no real feeling about it at all.

Richard Dixey explains what this sort of meditation is supposed to do for us:

The classic vehicle for Vitaka and Vicara is breath meditation.  This is sometimes called mindfulness meditation.  It is a shamata meditation in which we bring our attention to a continuously moving object.  Instead of the flickering of a candle or the fading of a bell, we attend to the sensation of the breath moving in and out.  Vitaka brings attention to the sensation, normally the very slight sensation of the breath entering or leaving the nostrils or the rising and falling of the belly or chest.  The Vicara element is to stay with it and not lose interest.  If we stay with the sensation, the object changes as we exhaust any preconception of what we are doing.  (p.37)

It probably doesn't help that I have always found this method difficult because I don't want to concentrate on my breathing - it feeds my anxiety.  But I did persevere, and that's the point, I think.  To try these different methods and see what resonates, what doesn't, all the while coming closer to an understanding of the Vitaka and Vicara he refers to so often.  The immediate sensation of something, and the staying with it.  He says later in the same chapter:

Remember always the Vicara trick.  Whenever anything comes to disturb you, engage with it for a moment, and then bring your attention back to your original object.  You can become very relaxed.  It's not a matter of being resistant.  Once we understand Vicara, we can flow. [...] Thoughts are always going to sneak up on us; we will always find ourselves attending to them. [...] I think it is a little better simply to relax, drop the thought, and then return to your meditation.  Otherwise there is a danger that you'll end up fighting with your thoughts to become what's called "a good meditator", which is itself a thought! [...] It's like a dance.  We are learning how to dance, very gradually, and after a while, the annoying thoughts disappear.  They just do. (pp.44-45)

Not yet, in my case.  But I have tried it snd see it's value as an exercise.  Possibly if I did it week after week I would see the lessening of distracting thoughts.

Let's see what next week's practice holds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Ball Breathing Meditation - Richard Dixey's 3 Minutes a Day, Week 4

  Photo by Dingzeyu Li on Unsplash This one did not work for me at all!   My review of this week's practice  is a bit late now -  I'm a bit behind, Christmas, work etc.  I'll try and explain what Mr Dixey wants us to get from this weeks practice. He explains that in the previous weeks we have used an external anchor (a candle) to focus us.  We then moved on to understanding 'how our concentration is so brittle' (p.47) with an examination of the ideas of directing focus (vitaka) and savouring that which we're focussed on (vicara).  Then we moved on to an external object which changes (the bell's sound moving to silence; though you could also say the candle was always changing with currents of air no matter how small disaturbing the flame). Then we examined the moving sensation of the breath - the air on our nose, or the sensation of the abdomen rising and falling. Week 4 leads to an 'internally generated meditation object' (p.48). He points out that

The Witch's Guide to Wellness by Krystle L. Jordan - beginning a work through (Part 1)

   I really really like the work of Krystle L Jordan.  It seems like the most obvious idea to mix the goals of being more spiritual and magical with being more healthy - body, mind and soul - but I haven't found another witch author doing it in the way she does.  Its all very simple, very intuitive and very deliberate.  On her website, she also offers 2 courses, one about beginning to have a vegan kitchen witch practice , which is reassuringly thorough as Krystle is a qualified  nutritionist as well as a magical practitioner; and one about magical wellness in more depth .  I'm enrolled in both of these - they are very reasonably priced - but for the purposes of this blog, I'm only going to be referring to her book, The Witch's Guide to Wellness (Adams Media, 2022) , and working through the exercises, spells/rituals and suggestions there. (The links for the 2 courses may change as its Black Friday week as I write, so she has sales on; but if you click and they've cha

What I'm going to do here...

I created this blog ages ago, then sort of forgot about it, as I wasn't sure what its main theme should be.  I have another main blog, that used to have everything on it, but has now shrunk to book reviews, as I slowly lost confidence in my own meandering voice, after several years.  There's been nothing there since January this year.  That's partly because I got very busy in the physical world, and partly because I had no clue what I wanted to say.  Its not necessary that I talk for an audience, thinking aloud; but then I wondered if there were others out there feeling as lost as I have come to feel.  The strange and unsettling combination of being an introvert, an instinctive pagan (societal cues from my growing up in the 70s, sure, too), and quite lefty in a world of loud and angry rightwingers.  Cognitive dissonance on so many issues from the minute I wake to the minute I sleep. There's the cost of living crisis, which has prompted me to have to have two jobs, which